This is a reminder that our deadline to receive your information to complete your personal income 2020 taxes and file by April 15th is Monday, March 15th. We are more than happy to file an extension if you need more time. Just let us know and complete an extension request letter. If we do not receive your information by March 15th, we can not guarantee your return will be done before April 15th and we will file an extension for you. But extensions are harmless and allow you more time to provide your information and allow us more time to be as complete and accurate as possible. Please note that if you owe when you file, late payment penalties and interest will accrue.
Here are some general reminders and tips to make the process smoother.
- You should have received a tax organizer by mail or in your portal. Use this as a reminder of the documents you provided us last year and correct any information where needed.
- We need your signed engagement letter and questionnaire before we can start your return. An online version is available if needed.
- Please be as complete as you can when providing your information and completing your questionnaire. If you answer “Yes” to any question, be sure to provide the additional information regarding that question. For example, if you check “Yes” that your bank information changed, provide your new bank information.
- We do not need all of your receipts for charitable contributions, medical, rental properties, business expenses, etc. A summary is preferred and acceptable for us. You should keep the receipts and proof of payment, but we do not want or need the backup documentation.
- Please do not use highlighters on your original documents. We scan all documents and highlighters darken the text and make it unreadable.
- We are running 3-4 weeks on getting returns done at this time of year. Please be patient.
- The link to our portal to upload documents is flatironadvisors.sharefile.com. If you forgot your password, there is a “Forgot Password?” link you can use to reset it.
- If you are mailing documents, our mailing address is
P.O. Box 271290
Louisville, CO 80027
- If you drop off your documents, the address to our Regus office is 4770 Baseline Rd, Suite 200, Boulder, CO 80301. Hours are Monday – Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. We are not at the office, but no appointment is needed since the office is staffed by professional office staff who will take your documents and lock them up until we pick them up.
- If you are missing just one document, such as a K-1 from a business you own or a brokerage statement, please submit everything else and let us know what is missing and when you expect to receive it.
- The best way to get hold of us is by email. You can reach Sarah at firstname.lastname@example.org or Steve at email@example.com. Please allow up to 72 hours for a response during tax season.